Boat Watch is linked locally, to the National Maritime Project Kraken, which delivers enhanced counter terrorism vigilance with the aim of increasing public safety.
Dedicated community co-ordinators in each Boat Watch area will have a direct link to a local policing team. This allows us to share information about criminal, anti-social and suspicious behaviour in your area that will contribute to reducing crime and improving the quality of life in that area.
The aims of the scheme are to:
- Increase the prevention and detection of boat related crime
- Increase community engagement between individual members, the police and marine related groups
- Increase public confidence in the police and other involved agencies
Benefits of the scheme
- Free access to the Devon and Cornwall Alert (early information regarding crimes or suspicious behaviour)
- Advice on how to report suspicious activity
- Access to your local policing team and Boat Watch co-ordinator
- Provision of regular marine crime information in your area
- Information about security products that reduce thefts and increase the chance of offenders being caught
- Details on how to register your property and search for details of stolen property prior to buying equipment
- Signs and stickers for your boat and equipment showing that you are a member of a police supported initiative
Requirements of becoming a member
Boat Watch is a free scheme, anyone from the boating community can join but we request you to:
For more information about Boat Watch contact your local policing team.